Matthew is a proven trial attorney that represents corporations and individuals in complex disputes involving a wide range of business matters. His experience spans federal and state courts around the country; various arbitral fora – including AAA, JAMS, and ad hoc arbitrations; and acting as coordinating counsel in multiple jurisdictions. Matthew has been first-chair counsel in more than 20 jury trials, served as lead counsel in more than 100 mediations, regularly briefed and argued in various courts of appeals, and directly supervised the successful litigation and resolution of scores of other disputes.
Matthew has represented a broad spectrum of clients, both as plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of industries, with an emphasis on complex business litigation and product liability disputes.
Matthew has successfully litigated cases involving alleged breaches of contract and warranty claims, trade secrets, transportation and logistics claims, covenants not to compete, and business torts. In the commercial context, buyers and sellers have recently relied upon Matthew’s representation in post-closing disputes involving earnout calculations and controversies pertaining to representations and warranties. Additionally, Matthew co-led a trial team that secured a verdict in excess of 4 Million Dollars on behalf of a plaintiff in a hotly contested multi-week trade secret jury trial.
Matthew has a wealth of product liability experience. His cases have involved a diverse array of products, ranging from industrial machinery to consumer products to toxic torts, to name a few. Matthew has deep experience defending claims involving alleged catastrophic injury and often serves as counsel in “bet the company” litigation. He is also a member of the firm's nationally preeminent Transportation & Logistics Group. In addition, Matthew is a member of the steering committee of the Defense Research Institute’s (DRI) Product Liability Committee, which is DRI’s largest substantive law committee with over 3,000 members.
Matthew frequently lectures on topics such as trade secret protection, alternative dispute resolution (including arbitration and mediation), evidence, trial tactics and e-discovery. Some of his recent presentations include:
- “The Best Things in Life Are Free: Low Cost or Free Web-based Resources”, DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar's Product Liability Conference (February 2018)
- “Demonstrative Exhibits and Documentary Evidence”, The Ohio State Bar Association's Trial Evidence for the Ohio Practitioner Seminar (December 2017)
- “Protecting Your Trade Secrets: Beyond the Basics”, Cleveland Society of Human Resource Management Legal Affairs Conference (December 2017)
- “ADR and Settlement”, The Ohio State Bar Association's Litigation Skills Seminar (September 2017)
- “Win Your Case in Voir Dire”, The Ohio State Bar Association's All-Ohio Legal Forum (August 2017)
- “Introduction to Alternative Dispute Resolution”, The Ohio State Bar Association's Litigation Skills Seminar (September 2016)
- “Introducing Your Case – Strategies for an Impactful and Effective Opening Statement”, The Ohio State Bar Association's All-Ohio Legal Forum (April 2016)