Benesch is proud of its commitment to diversity and inclusion, and the firm has created the 1L Diversity Fellowship to enhance our efforts for the recruitment, retention, development, and advancement of diverse attorneys within the firm.
The application process for our 2024 1L Diversity Fellowship program will open on Friday, December 1, 2023.
Law students encouraged to apply include members of populations that have been historically underrepresented in the legal profession, namely racial, ethnic, and gender minorities and members of the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, and veterans. This is a paid position, and we have openings in the firm’s Cleveland, OH, Columbus, OH, and Chicago, IL offices as fully integrated positions within our Summer Associate Program. The 1L Diversity Fellowship also includes participation in the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) 1L Scholars Summit, which takes place virtually on May 23-25, 2023.
Required application materials
Candidates may apply to and be considered for only one Benesch office. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. To apply, please click here to submit the following materials:
- First semester transcripts (if you do not have your transcripts at the time of your application, please return to submit them once you receive them)
- Brief personal statement (500 words or less) describing your interest in Benesch, academic and leadership achievements, how diversity and inclusion has had a personal impact, and your demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in the legal profession and/or community
- Completion of the Suited candidate assessment (more information can be found here)
Candidates must be full-time first year law students or part time law students enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school, with an expected graduation date of December 2024 or May 2025. Requirements for application include:
- Exceptional academic performance
- Outstanding leadership abilities and involvement in diversity organizations
- A commitment to community service
- Strong interpersonal skills
- An interest in working in private practice
- A desire to work in the selected city long term
- Permanent authorization to work in the United States
What to Expect
Our 1L Diversity Fellowship provides an excellent opportunity to gain an understanding of how law firms work, including client interaction, courtroom activities, and teamwork with Benesch Attorneys. Our comprehensive professional development sessions and training programs, such as our mock negotiation simulation coached by our corporate attorneys, go hand-in-hand with the direct work experience you’ll receive. You’ll participate in the firm’s regular operations such as department meetings and specially planned events, as well as those designed exclusively for our summer program, including our Summer Associate Retreat, Client Spotlight on Diversity series, and practice group overviews.
Our summer associates have opportunities for immediate contact with clients and are involved in strategy, negotiating and drafting sessions, and business development meetings. As part of Benesch’s 1L Diversity Fellowship Program, you will receive a variety of work, both in terms of substantive areas of law and in the types of projects assigned. We review each summer associate’s work on an individual basis and work to include assignments which go beyond standard research projects, although such projects are important in developing your skills and enabling us to learn more about your strengths and weaknesses.
Please contact Brittany Vozar, Senior Law School Recruiting Manager, with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.