Michael is an experienced commercial litigator with a diverse practice. He has represented clients operating in a wide array of industries, including private equity funds and their portfolio companies, commercial aviation, telecommunications, and the energy sector. He has represented companies in these industries, and others, in disputes involving allegations of securities fraud, breach of contract, the RICO Act, defamation, and business torts. He has also represented clients in investigations brought by the United States Securities & Exchange Commission and internal corporate investigations.
Michael has been a senior member of litigation teams handling these complex, high-stakes matters across the country. Some of his recent experience includes:
- Defended major commercial airliner in putative class action asserting claims relating to flight delays. Obtained dismissal at the pleadings stage.
- Defended multi-billion dollar private equity firm in fraud suit brought by Chapter 7 trustee seeking the return of dividend payments worth over $75 million. Forced a favorable settlement on the eve of trial after the district court granted motion to exclude the testimony of the trustee’s primary expert witness.
- Represented publicly-traded telecommunications company in a securities appraisal action in Delaware Chancery Court. After defeating a critical motion for judgment on the pleadings, secured a favorable settlement for a fraction of the plaintiff's claimed damages.
- Defended a publicly-traded financial services institution in putative class actions alleging breaches of fiduciary duties that resulted in over $1 billion of damages. Obtained a favorable settlement during briefing on class certification.
- Represented drywall manufacturer in litigation relating to its bid to acquire a publicly-traded company. Defeated a motion for preliminary injunction that would have enjoined a shareholder vote to approve the proposed merger.
- Represented a major human resource consulting firm in federal court action brought by corporate rival seeking extensive discovery in support of foreign litigation. Obtained complete denial of the plaintiff's application for discovery.
- Represented corporate controllers in investigation brought by the SEC, and persuaded the SEC to not assert any claims against his clients.
- Represented an international distributor of liquefied natural gas in a fraud action against a Chinese venture capital fund. Obtained a favorable settlement at the pleading stage of the case.
In these cases, and others, Michael has worked closely with his clients to secure their desired outcome in a cost-effective and timely manner; and, Michael’s efforts have often allowed his clients to resolve maters on favorable terms prior to trial.