Helen focuses her practice on technology transactions, licensing, online contracting, and data privacy and security.
She drafts and negotiates business-critical intellectual property (IP) and information technology (IT) agreements, including software-as-a-service (SaaS), IT services, data licensing, content licensing, maintenance and support, reseller, development, collaboration, and data protection agreements.
Earlier in her legal career, Helen practiced law in-house at a Fortune 100 insurance company for three years. Helen also lived in Japan for a number of years and is conversational in Japanese.
Helen is also a member of Benesch’s Transportation & Logistics Practice Group and a member of Benesch’s Risk & Ethics Committee.
Her experience includes:
- Drafting and negotiating software license, SaaS, IaaS, PaaS, and IT service agreements.
- Developing template agreements (e.g., software license agreements; SaaS agreements; various services agreements; software and hardware evaluation agreements; confidentiality agreements).
- Counseling clients on electronic contracting, the legal implications of working in the Internet of Things (IoT) space, and related regulatory frameworks.
- Regularly supporting mergers and acquisitions by managing due diligence on technology and IP matters.
- Leading an enterprise-wide effort to develop and implement modernized confidentiality agreement templates and process; training paralegals and law clerks to take greater role in the review and management of confidentiality agreements.
- Implementing processes and procedures for the review of open source software licenses.
- Drafting and negotiating license agreements for copyrighted publications.
- Actively representing artists, creative professionals, and nonprofit organizations on a pro bono basis through Chicago-based Lawyers for the Creative Arts.
- We serve as a lead outside transactional counsel to Infosys in connection with the negotiation and documentation of a variety of IP oriented technology transactions.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its acquisition of the assets of a domestic and international intermodal drayage and transportation logistics company.