Risto leads Benesch’s patent prosecution group and his practice includes all facets of intellectual property and technology law, including intellectual property litigation, rendering patent-related opinions, intellectual property due diligence for mergers and acquisitions, negotiating technology and intellectual property licenses and transactions, and data security counseling.
Risto’s patent preparation practice includes counseling clients regarding global patent portfolio growth and management and focuses on the preparation, prosecution and evaluation of inventions in the mechanical, electromechanical, polymer and software arts. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants in patent infringement and trade secret litigation. Risto counsels clients on intellectual property issues such as cease and desist letters, reexamination procedures, and opinions regarding infringement, patentability and validity. He counsels clients in negotiating intellectual property licenses and third-party software agreements. Risto also counsels clients in avoiding data security breaches, and complying with state and federal laws in the event of a data breach.
Prior to his career in law, Risto had a successful career as a research engineer and software consultant working for companies such as NASA - Center for Commercial Development of Space, Center for Applied Polymer Research, Bard Medical Products, and Trilogy Software.
- Represented the buyer in its acquisition of a jewelry subscription and retail business.
- Represented a manufacturer and distributor in its exchange of business division assets with a third party.
- Represented the buyer in its acquisition of a manufacturer and distributor of piston sealing, retaining and snap rings.
- Represented Watkins Associated Industries, Inc. in its acquisition of Nova Engineering and Environmental, LLC, a provider of environmental consulting and engineering and construction testing and inspections services.
- Represented Loar Group in its asset acquisition of a designer and manufacturer of high-quality de-icing systems for corporate and general aviation aircraft, flexible couplings and surge boots used in airborne refueling technology, and hovercraft skirts for use by the United States Armed Forces.
- Represented Gridiron Capital Partners in its initial platform acquisition of Jacent Strategic Merchandising, a provider of strategic impulse, in-line and check stand, merchandising products and solutions to retailers.
- Represented Continental Tire the Americas in the acquisition of 100% of the stock of Hoosier Racing Tire Corporation.
- Represented Altus Capital Partners II, L.P. in the acquisition of Nichols Portland, a division of Parker Hannifin Corporation.
- Represented a leading metals seals company in a trade secret and antitrust lawsuit involving manufacture of security seals.
- Represented a therapy system in a patent infringement lawsuit involving medical devices for treating dysphagia.