Michael is a transactional lawyer and deal maker. His practice is focused on real estate and corporate matters, real estate joint venture work, sale/leasebacks, traditional and mezzanine financing, fund formation matters, acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, and real estate development in various asset classes (i.e., Office, Retail, Multi-Family and Industrial).
Michael advises and counsels clients on a wide variety of legal issues in commercial real estate transactions and corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, real estate acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, construction, and financing. Michael also frequently handles real estate transactions in healthcare, including for medical office, skilled nursing facilities and assisted living facilities.This unique approach to real estate emanates from Michael’s adherence to practical solutions from a business perspective. What’s best for the client is at the heart of what’s best for the deal.
Michael possesses a rare combination of a wide breadth of transactional expertise and a passion for knowing his clients deeply and understanding their unique business needs. Michael’s approach emanates from his adherence to practical legal solutions and keeping a business perspective to the matters at hand. Michael draws upon his experience as an investor/business owner and from his various roles working as in-house counsel at both private and publicly traded companies, working at AmLaw 200 firms, negotiating and documenting transactions for some of the world’s largest companies, and handling a wide variety of alternative financing matters.
When Michael isn’t spending time helping clients solve their business issues, you will find him spending time with his wife, Erica, and his two sons, Aiden and Asher. Michael enjoys live music, playing golf, engaging in cross‐fit training, and watching football and basketball. Michael is also actively involved with the Jewish Federation of Cleveland.
*Matter completed prior to joining Benesch.
- Represented the seller in a sale-leaseback transaction for a warehouse, office and manufacturing property in Stanford, Kentucky used for acrylic paints, oil paints, stretcher bars, easels, craft paper products and accessories.
- Represented Persona Signs in receiving a majority investment from Exeter Image Holdings, a portfolio company of Exeter Street Capital Partners.
- Represented Watkins Associated Industries, Inc. in its acquisition of Nova Engineering and Environmental, LLC, a provider of environmental consulting and engineering and construction testing and inspections services.
- Handled national leasing negotiations for a retail tenant in over 15 locations throughout the United States.*
- Negotiated and documented $50,000,000 in real estate loans for a single sponsor in a six‐month span.*
- Led team in multi‐million‐dollar C&I acquisition financing for 18 limited liability companies.*
- Structured various entities, handled LLC formation and equity offerings for a national restaurant developer.*
- Represented client in multiple real estate acquisitions totaling over $100,000,000 for various developers.*
- Raised over $50,000,000 in EB‐5 Funding for former employer, as in‐house counsel.*
- Negotiated construction contracts for over 25 quick service restaurants.*