Michael focuses his practice on mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and divestitures for a wide range of companies and industries, including public companies, private equity firms, independent sponsors, family offices, private companies and individuals.
His experience with private equity funds, independent sponsors and family offices helps him assist clients in capital formation matters, mezzanine capital financings and venture capital transactions. Clients also rely on him to provide day-to-day counseling on a full range of corporate, financing and transactional topics and he regularly negotiates and drafts all types of commercial contractual arrangements.
Michael serves and has served on the board of directors and as corporate secretary for many privately-held companies. He is currently an Advisory Board Member for Evolution Capital Partners.
Michael was a member of the Cleveland Development Board for Miami University and also served on the Advancement Council for The University of Akron College of Business Administration for many years.
- Represented Sequoia Financial Group, LLC, a registered investment advisor with $15+ billion in client assets, in both of its minority equity investment transactions, first with Kudu Investment Management, LLC (Kudu), an independent provider of long-term capital solutions to asset and wealth managers worldwide, through a strategic investment, and then with Valeas Capital Partners, a private equity fund with a focus on asset and wealth management businesses.
- Represented Sequoia Financial Group, LLC, a financial planning, wealth management, and asset management firm in several add-on transactions, including the acquisition of Zeke Capital Advisors, LLC, NCA Financial Planners, Inc., and Wealthstone Advisors, LLC.
- Represented Gridiron Capital Partners in its divestiture of Rough Country, a leading provider of branded aftermarket performance-enhancing products and accessories, to TSG Consumer Partners.
- Represented Gridiron Capital Partners in its acquisition of Remington Products Company, a leading specialty designer and manufacturer of branded and private label orthotic solutions, including foot beds/insoles, foot care products, orthopedic braces, sports supports and safety/ergonomic products. The target company was 100% owned by the Remington Products Company Employee Stock Ownership Plan and Trust.
- Represented The J. M. Smucker Company in its acquisition of the Folger’s Coffee Company from Procter & Gamble for approximately $5 billion in enterprise value.
- Represented The J. M. Smucker Company in its announced acquisition of the Wesson Oil business from ConAgra Foods.
- Represented The J. M. Smucker Company in the sale of its U.S. baking business, including brands such as Pillsbury, Martha White, Hungry Jack, and White Lily, to Brynwood Partners for $375 million.
- Represented The J. M. Smucker Company in the sale of its cooking oils, shortening and spray products businesses, represented by the Crisco brand to B&G Foods North America, Inc. for $550 million.
- Represented The J. M. Smucker Company in the sale of its natural and organic beverage and grains businesses to Nexus Capital Management LP in a cash transaction valued at approximately $110 million.
- Represented Wilderness Trail Distillery, a premium artisan bourbon distillery, in the sale of 70% of its membership interests to Campari, a Milan-based Italian Spirits group, for $600 million in enterprise value.
- Represented Evolution Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in scores of divestiture and acquisition transactions since its inception, including recent representation of Evolution Investments IV in its acquisitions of Empire Dental Arts, Health Technologies, Enviroscience and LEW Environmental, and the subsequent representation of such companies in multiple add-on transactions.
- Represented Foundation Software, the leading national software developer for accounting services in the construction industry, in its acquisition by Thoma Bravo, a leading private equity investment firm.
- Represented Mirai, Inc. in the sale to Canon of 70% of the membership interests of its subsidiary, Quality Electrodynamics, LLC, a company engaged in development, manufacture, sale and provision of technical services for medical equipment.
- Represented Provariant Equity Partners in its investment in Midwest Equipment Sales, LLC, a distributor of industrial and branded consumer products including outdoor power equipment and tracks and tires.
- Represented Remington Products Company in the acquisition of Foot Petals, a distributor of customizable shoe inserts and antimicrobial shoe insert cushions from R. G. Barry Corporation.
- Represented Lexi-Comp, Inc., a developer of clinical information solutions, in its sale to Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
- Represented Cleveland Thermal Holdings LLC in the sale of its membership interests of Cleveland Thermal LLC.
- Represented Signal Peal Energy, LLC and Wayne M. Boich in establishing a joint venture with FirstEnergy Ventures that acquired the Bull Mountain coal mining operation in the State of Montana.
- Represented Axentis, Inc., a software developer, in the sale of assets and stock of its Indian subsidiary to CCH Incorporated/Wolters Kluwer International.
- Represented Linsalata Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in scores of transactions for several decades.
- Represented Persona Signs in receiving a majority investment from Exeter Image Holdings, a portfolio company of Exeter Street Capital Partners.
- Represented Marcus Thomas, a full-service marketing and advertising agency, in its recapitalization transaction with Svoboda Capital Partners, a Chicago-based private equity firm that invests in leading middle market growth companies.
- Represented Myers Industries in its acquisition of Tuffy Manufacturing Industries, Inc. Tuffy is a distributor of tire repair equipment and supplies to tire dealers, retreaders and trucking fleets. Myers Industries, Inc. is an international manufacturer of polymer products for industrial, agricultural, automotive, commercial and consumer markets.